Guys! I did a thing! And that thing is a podcast! I was so sweaty and nervous and tried to cancel but I did it! In recent years I’ve discovered that I really dislike public speaking. I can talk all day but once I get on that “stage,” once I have an Official Microphone, my brain decides it’s a great time to reboot. What’s my name again? Where am I?
When Christina (who is actually my totally wonderful attorney) and Reina asked me to be a guest on the Creative Empire Podcast back in the spring, I said YES! And then immediately booked my appointment for September. Because, you know, that would give me plenty of time to be brave and stuff. Then I blinked and it was September. Funny how life has a way of forcing you into the discomfort.
On this episode, you’ll hear:
- My transition from working my first 9-5 to launching my own business
- How I attended a Molly Jacques’ calligraphy workshop and it changed everything
- How to book your first clients when you don’t yet have a portfolio
- How to create the things you want to be creating (and get clients to hire you for it)
- My desire to make things that are meaningful, not just pretty
- How Max and I collaborate to gain inspiration for my latest work
- Lots of gushing about my incredible, incredible clients
You’ll also hear:
- The first time I’m hearing my own midwestern accent
- Lots of things that have nothing to do with the topic but I brought them up anyway
- “I TRY REALLY HARD TO BE FUNNY, GUYS.”
- One lone Moose bark before I had to imprison him in the basement
- “So I said, OK.” repeat. Repeat again. And again. (Listening to yourself is actual torture.)
- Me holding up photos, forgetting that this is a podcast you listen to with your ears
And my one tidbit of advice, however convoluted:
Be fearless in what you want. Don’t be afraid to ask for it. Don’t be afraid to invest the time and the resources necessary in order to get to that point. Once you get there, and you’re doing the thing that you love to do, that you feel you were created to do, that is everything.
Thanks SO much again to Christina, Reina, and the Creative Empire Podcast team for having me! What an honor and pleasure. A total cringe-worthy, inspiring, fear-facing, embarrassing, life-giving pleasure. xo
In case you missed it, you can listen to my episode on the Creative Empire Podcast here!
Headshot by Annamarie Akins Photography